Oil Interceptors: What, Where and Why?
What you need to know about Oil interceptors!
It is beneficial to know why Oil Interceptors are needed, where they can be found, and why they should be maintained, so that owners and landlords don’t wind up breaching environmental regulations.
Oil interceptors also known as oil separators can be found in most medium to large car parks and forecourts and look similar to man holes. They can often be a mystery to the people responsible for them.
Why do we need Interceptors?
The simple answer is they prevent waste oil from entering the environment and contaminating rivers, streams and other bodies of water.
Where can an Interceptor be found?
As a general rule, they can be found in the following places.
- Car parks typically larger than 800m2 in area or for 50 or more car parking spaces
- Smaller car parks discharging to a sensitive environment
- Areas where goods vehicles are parked or manoeuvred
- Vehicle maintenance areas
- Industrial sites where oil is stored or used
- Refuelling facilities
- Any other site with a risk of oil contamination
Why you need to maintain an Interceptors?
If an Interceptor is not regularly maintained, the chambers become overwhelmed by oils and eventually begin to pass through the system contaminating the environment. Interceptors work by separating liquid hydrocarbons such as diesel, petrol and engine oil from surface water. These waste oils are then collected in the chambers of the interceptor. They also become prone to flooding which would result in oils being deposited on the surrounding surfaces and creating very dangerous situations, especially in car parks.
The most convenient way to clean an oil interceptor, keeping it fully functioning and at is best is to have it cleaned around every six months. There are a variety of minimal services that can help to ensure they remain clean
- CCTV Drain Surveys with its high spec technology can identify blockages,
- High Pressure Water Jetting accurately removes foreign objects and matter
- Vacuum Tankers to dispose of Liquid Waste keeping the drainage system clean.
How we can help you if you have an Interceptor
If you know you have an interceptor or are unsure then get in contact with us free of charge to set up a free site visit. We offer excellent maintenance contracts at very competitive rates so your interceptors will never be neglected again.
If you are unsure if you have an interceptor or would like to have your interceptor serviced, speak to one of our friendly interceptor advisors today on 0800 740 8888 or make an inquiry.