What to do when you have a blocked sink
First of all, don’t panic! It’s usually very simple to fix a blocked sink, and can be done without buying any expensive equipment or flooding your kitchen. Follow this easy guide to diagnose and fix the problem.
Remember to look after yourself and your property
– Rubber gloves protect your hands while dealing with domestic blockages
– You can cover the bathroom or kitchen area with plastic covering if you are worried about damaging the surfaces
– We advise having a couple of strong bin liners with you as it may be necessary to dispose of waste
– Start off by pouring boiling water directly down the blocked sink. Two full kettles should be enough to move any stubborn organic matter
– If boiling water doesn’t do the trick pour down half a box of baking soda then pour down a mug of vinegar, swiftly followed by the plug stopper or old rags
– Wait at least 30 minutes and then pour down another kettle of boiling water
– If the vinegar and baking soda volcano didn’t shift your sink blockage, it might be time to introduce the plunger
– Fill the sink or bath with a little water (enough to fully cover the drain)
– If there is an overflow, plug it up with rags or a tea towel
– Wet the plunger and place over the drain
– Ensure you have a firm seal and use sharp fast plunges to remove the clog
– Remove the plunger and the blockage should flow away, if it does not then repeat.
– If you still have a blocked sink, this indicates that the problem is further down the pipe and will need an engineer to come out and investigate
Who is liable for the blocked drain?
Liability for drainage issues can be a minefield. It can be the responsibility of:
– Your local council
– The water board
– Housing association
– Property owner
– Letting agent
– The tenant
If you are renting, contact your landlord or letting agent before calling out an engineer. If you are unsure who’s responsibility it is, call our team and they will contact local authorities on your behalf and arrange works.
Ways to prevent blocked sinks:
– Avoid putting any solids down your sink; even a cotton bud will get wrapped in wipes and cause a blockage somewhere
– Using a plug strainer is a cheap and easy way to prevent a build up of kitchen waste in your pipes
– Using drain cleaner or the baking soda and vinegar mix once a month will help to keep your pipes free from blockages
– Never ever pour fat or grease down the sink. This is sure fire way to block your drainage system
What to do if the blockage does not go away:
Give us a call! Our skilled engineers are available 24/7 so can attend a job at any time to assess the problem and provide a solution quickly.
Hydro Cleansing Will Support You Through the Flooding Season.
Following Storm Angus, Wales and the South of England are currently being battered by high winds and even higher levels of rain fall, and as your Mother would say; prevention is better than cure! If that doesn’t inspire you to get outside and start checking your culverts and clearing your drains, then take a look at some of our flood work from previous years.
Clearing a Culvert Under the A3 Highway:
Here are some of our engineers clearing a culvert beneath the A3 on behalf of a local council. Our expert engineers were down there, in full confined space PPE to cut through the build up of silt with high pressure jets, and of course Megatron, which was on site to suck the waste away for disposal at an impressive 6000 cubic feet per minute. Megatron’s state of the art liquid ring pump creates a vacuum within the bulk tanker in order to efficiently fill it with waste, and also allows a second bulk to replace it while it disposing of the waste. This meant that the work could be continuous and we didn’t have to deploy extra vehicles which allowed us to get the job done quickly.
Flood Response at a Nursing Home in Bristol:
Saving your granny is all in a days work for our teams, or at least back in June it was. We sent out our specialist engineers in a combination vacuum tanker unit to help out a nursing home near Bristol, where the flood waters were about to reach the property. The power of our tanker meant our team could remove the water from the flooded garden area and front of the property where the flood was disrupting traffic and scaring pensioners. Job done!
So if you’re worried about flooding in your area, give us a call! Let us know where the potential flood risk is and we will call the associated council for you and arrange any necessary works. Contact us here 24/7!
This elite racing venue is renowned for its world class track. Silverstone is home to the British Grand Prix from 1950 and has also hosted some exceptional truck racing events. Mega Sweep was removing any dust, mud, silt or oil that had built up on Silverstone’s tamac. Hydro Cleansing are delighted to work with the estate to maintain the standards of excellence.
Fallen leaves don’t settle on Silverstone when Hydro Cleansing are around! We run a tight ship! Compared to the regular roads of London, with their chewing gum, rubble, piles of leaves strewn across the urban thoroughfares, mud, oil and tyre marks that undermine the impressive nature of the city; Silverstone is road hygiene heaven! MEGA SWEEP will clean every road in the country given half a chance!
Our engineer attended in the early hours to complete the work before Silverstone’s day officially began. Our engineers are brilliant and take enormous pride in their work. They record the state of the site before they begin work and the results after it’s completed. The difference is stunning! We’re the people behind the scenes, we make it all run smoothly! God is in the detail and Hydro Cleansing are right in there with him! Not a speck remained!